Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Perfect Pizza Crust & Sauce

I know I have posted this recipe at least 3 times, but I get asked for it often. Magically, it is usually right after I make pizza for someone. Hmmm.

So here we go.

Pizza Dough

2 3/4 Cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tsp Salt
1 Cup water between 100 and 110 degrees
1 Tbsp Honey or Agave Nectar
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Pkg Yeast

Add the yeast and honey or agave to the hot water and stir well. Allow the yeast to "proof" or "bloom" until it is foamy.

Meanwhile, mix the rest of the ingredients (I use a food processor with a dough blade). Once the yeast is foamy add to the flour mixture and process until it comes together. Once it is a ball allow it to knead in the machine or knead it by hand for a minute or so. Add to an oiled bowl and let rise for an hour.

I like to use some organic blue corn meal to dust the board as I roll the dough out. I flip it several times as I roll it so a little of the corn meal gets on both sides. I also use a little corn meal on the pizza pan which keeps the dough from sticking.

I bake mine at 550 for 10 - 12 minutes. The more toppings, the lower the oven temperature and the longer the baking time is the rule. This makes a kind of thin 14" pizza or a very thin 16" one.

Pizza Sauce

Sundried Tomatoes make the best sauce, but NOT the ones in oil. You need the ones they call "ready to eat" which are not in any liquid at all.

I heat up water in a tea kettle and pour over the tomatoes in a glass measuring cup until just covered. This allows the tomatoes to soften up and become easier to work with. They are ready in 15-30 minutes, but won't be hurt if left longer.

In a food processor, blender or magic bullet type machine add the tomatoes and water and add 2 garlic cloves, a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano and process or blend. Add water or olive oil as necessary to get the consistency you like and TASTE the sauce. Do you want it more garlicky? Add some. Only you can get the sauce right for you.

The amount of sauce is also a personal taste thing. I like a thin coating on the crust, but others like a thick layer over the cheese. Do what you like.

The only problem with this recipe is that it will wreck you for delivery pizza. It won't satisfy anymore.

Be very well and more soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment