Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fortify That Stir Fry

I made a stir fry for lunch today. As I was getting to the end I decided to try something I hadn't done before so I added some baby spinach right as the stir fry was finishing. It was easy to add in and cooked in a minute.

I added about 2 cups of the spinach which gives the recipe - 4 servings - all of the vitamin A for a day, 4 times the Vitamin K, 30% of the folate, manganese and Vitamin C,  and 2 grams each of fiber and protein. There is a bunch of other goodies too, but those are the most abundant.

So where else could you add some baby spinach without anyone knowing? You could chop some and toss it into your pasta sauce right as you add the pasta. You could swap some of the basil in your pesto. Toss some into a salad. Chop some and add to your omelet if you like eggs.

Raw ideas besides the salad include adding some as greens on your sandwiches or wraps. If you juice, add some with some kale for a great green start to a veggie juice.

The idea is to keep ideas like this in your mind and you'll find tons of ways to fortify the stuff you make.

My stir fry today had 2 large carrots halved and thin sliced, 3 stalks of celery sliced, 1 red onion chopped in a rough chop, 2 bell peppers roughly chopped, 2 cups mushrooms and 2 cups brocolette. It was seasoned with a little salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, turmeric, 4 cloves garlic chopped and 3/4" of ginger root minced. I tossed all of the harder veggies into the wok on high for about 5 minutes and then added the mushrooms and brocolette for about 3 minutes. I then added the garlic and ginger and stirred for 30 seconds. I added the chili flakes, turmeric a little sesame oil and some white wine vinegar and cooked another minute. I then added the spinach and some soy sauce and stirred until the spinach wilted. We served it over steamed short grain brown rice. It was great - I think.

More soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment