Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Okay - That Won't Work

I learn as I go like the rest of you. Today I learned that I can't use the rice steamer to make wild rice. The water steams out too quickly I guess. I thought using math would be sufficient. If the brown rice cooks good with 2 cups of water then the wild rice should work with 2 1/2 - NOT.

I was able to get it and some more water into a pan and finished it, but it isn't great. Note to self - no more wild rice in the steamer.

That reminded me of some of my other little boo boos in the past. Here are some I can remember.

In 1988 I thought I would jack up some tomato sauce for pasta with Serrano peppers. Make that salsa on pasta. NOT my proudest moment.

This one tasted good, but looked bad. I made pesto and added the sun dried tomatoes in oil instead of the "ready to eat" type. The pesto tasted great but looked like baby poop. They say you are what you eat.

I had to learn the hard way to rinse cooked pasta in cold water before adding it to soup so it doesn't keep cooking and grow and take over the soup.

I also learned not to salt the pesto BEFORE you add the Parmesan cheese since it is salty as well. I learned the same fact about olives and capers in Putanesca sauce too.

The other place I learned about salting too early was stock and soups that are going to reduce for a while.

There are others I can't remember right now. Pam isn't here to remind me.

More soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment