Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Didn't You Climb That Thing Like A Million Times Already?

So we are off tomorrow to head down for our Saturday climb of Mt St Helens. I remember questioning Pam and her climbing pals why keep climbing the thing every year. Of course I was a couch potato at the time with no frame of reference.

Now I am asked the same question so here is why.

First, whether it is the winter or summer route Mt St Helens is a formidable opponent and you are not guaranteed to succeed. The weather can turn you around with everything from snow to sleet to wind and rain. Visibility can go to hell in no time and make it unsafe to continue.

Next, the effort required always goes past your physical fitness and into your will. The steep trudge is a mental battle with yourself every time. I often say that your legs don't get you up to the summit as much as your head does.  When the pace drops below 1 MPH you are tested. That's all there is to it.

Last, the climb is different every time. Even the easier summer route from the Climber's Bivouac is different from climb to climb. The winter route from Marble Mountain Sno Park via the Worm Flows route is always new once you get the first 2 miles out of the way and clear the tree line. Then it's like a blank canvas that has one thing that remains the same - all paths lead to the summit as long as you are going up.

Every year we discuss taking Mt St Helens off of the list and doing something else. Maybe next year, but I am glad we have 2 dates with my mountain muse this year. I hope I get some nice pictures to share on the blog soon, but I'll at least have a story to share.

Be very well and more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment