Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Unexpectedly Enjoyable Hike

Pam and I were on out way to Prosser for a Wine Club party at Airfield Estates Winery Saturday. She picked out a hike from WTA.org that sounded like a bit of a diversion, but not much else - Umtamun Creek Trail in the Yakima Canyon off of HWY 821 between Ellensburg and Yakima.

It was 6 miles with 700 feet of elevation gain so I figured it was a light pack, trail runner kind of trail that I would think was not very pretty and boringly flat desert terrain. I was right about the distance anyway.

This trail begins at a bridge that crosses the Yakima River and then heads back along the Umtanum Creek. It is much more green than I thought it would be, and at times a little overgrown.






I remembered when the rubbing started at about 2 miles in that my trail runners require double socks and not the single pair I wore. I carry blister repair, but I have never used any on myself yet. I have used it on lots of fellow hikers including an Australian girl we trekked to Machu Picchu with. Now I can't say I haven't used any on myself anymore.

We had 3 creek crossings and turned around just before the 4th. We saw 3 snakes which now it seems were small rattlesnakes based on their color. Luckily we didn't try to pose with them or anything. There were tons of birds singing the whole way and we were swooped a couple of times by what looked like an Osprey. We also saw a bunch of butterflies.





 


All in all we got in 6 miles in about 2 hours and did get sweating a little. I now would recommend this hike to anyone interested in a break from the car on the way to central Washington. I would do it again myself.
















Be very well and more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment