Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Muse Calls Me

As Mt Rainier is Pam's girlfriend, Mt St Helens is my muse. here is something there that I can't escape. I have been involved in 5 summit attempts and have been lucky enough to summit 3 times.

Of those attempts, 2 have been the Summer route from the Climber's Bivouac which is shorter by a mile each way and has less elevation gain as well. My first attempt we were turned around by weather but returned to Beaver Bay campground and had what can only be described as an epic party. We had a huge group camping and had a blast.

The second attempt was the next year and we summited with no problem. We had a pretty great party after that as well. This year it looks like only 4 of us plan to stay Saturday night so the party will be smaller, but that doesn't always dictate the quality. We'll see.

My other three attempts have been the Winter route from Marble Mt Snow park and I am 2 out of three from there. This time will give me a chance to even my Winter and Summer records at 2 for 3 for both.

The reason I think I am so drawn to St Helens is that it was the first difficult hike I ever attempted and the first mountain I ever summited. The stats don't seem too bad, but when a large part of the route requires climbing over boulders and struggling through deep scree it becomes a better challenge. I actually prefer the winter route because the snow is easier to climb on than the scree and you get to slide halfway down on your butt.

We always talk about doing something different net year, but honestly I would miss climbing St Helens if we took it off of the list. I guess we'll see.

Hopefully I'll have some great pictures to post when we get back. I'm also hoping this cold subsides soon. I guess now I know why I was having trouble breathing on our Camp Muir hike. Oh, well.

Be well and more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment