Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Getting Back Up

I figured I've been on the ground long enough. I got back up today and hit the road with the Doggess Athena. She was chomping at the bit and did a good job dragging me 6.7 miles in 1:21 for an average of 4.96 MPH.

That's great, but it's about keeping it up. So I'll report on what we have been doing more regularly and get back to researching stuff that fits here.

I'm on this roll where I think I need to make every effort to never take more than I need. I have come to the conclusion that we become less human when we take more than we need. If you look at the facts that bears out.

We waste nearly 50% of the food that is produced in the US. That is a huge number. I know. It starts at the farm where some crops remain unpicked if the market is low at the time it ripens and it continues through middlemen and speculators before it hits the stores. The stores toss stuff out and the consumers do the rest of the waste.

 All of this is done without anyone at any step of the process thinking about donating the stuff to feed the needy.

Why is it done?  A simple, but not over-simplified answer is that we are used to taking more than we need. On the consumer level we shop in huge quantities to "save money." We get home and do what we do, but we waste something like 20% of what we buy. It's either table scraps we toss or leftovers that spoil, but we waste it.

So I am going to do better. I am going to try to waste as little as I can by thinking about not taking more than I need. That's at least a start.

Be well and more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment