Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

At A Dog's Pace

I do some of my best thinking watching Athena walk. That is likely due to the fact that I am attached to her and the rhythm of it leads me there. I see the people that wonder what is wrong with the guy whose dog is taking him for a walk, but I know the truth of it.

There are things you learn with your dog attached to your waist and walking at their pace. You learn things about both of you that are important I think. They have proven important to me at least.

First, you can walk much faster than you think you can. With the constant pace pressure Athena imposes I find my only response is to find a rhythm that will allow me to keep a little slack in the lead. I find songs or pieces of music that work that I can keep in my head as we go. Lately, I've been trying to get back to the pace that Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No 4, Movement 3 provides. That was the magical 5 MPH area. I have to speed it up a touch, but it works.

Second, If you want to really deserve the look of thanks and love that your dog gives you freely you should give them "dog time." That is the time that they spend doing what they love the most. Going fast and being in charge a little both fall into "dog time." When you get done and you are dying from the effort you get that big dog smile and know it was earned.

Third, and especially if your dog is active and you work from home, it tires them out and they give you some time to get stuff done. That one is self-explanatory I think.

Last is that there is no more tenacious workout partner than an active dog. They always have a little more than you've got so it always stays interesting.

Be very well and more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment