Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Back To The Rescue & Great Movies

I have been asked what Athena actually does that helped "rescue" me. It is hard to verbalize some of it but this is what I can put into words.

Athena requires a lot of patience. She is strong willed and stubborn. In order to bond with her I had to learn to be much more patient than I was previously capable of. I still have work to do there, but then who doesn't need to improve their patience.

Athena is a clown in dog's clothing. She likely developed her act as a device to change bad moods of prior humans in her life. At first we thought she was trying to assert some form of dominance, but now I'm sure it is her show. She doesn't go a day without making us laugh, and laughter is the best medicine as they say. The only downside to her efforts to make people smile is that she will walk towards cars as they slow down so that the driver will notice her and smile. We're still working on that.

Athena is the best exercise partner you could ask for. She is always ready to go and she pushes you to go harder than you originally thought you could go. I'm sure I wouldn't be walking as fast as I am without her help.

She is a sensitive em path which requires you to stay more even keeled. She reacts badly to spikes in anger. When a dumb ass driver nearly runs us over I have to count to 10 instead of going off on them. She will yap at me otherwise - kind of a "let's just walk" yap that is high pitched. Our last dog - Tasha - was empathic as well. She used to stand between me and the TV during Seahawk games when things were going bad so I could calm down. It might just be a girlie dog thing.

Lastly, she likes to patrol the yard on a regular basis so I am required to let her out and back in later which adds steps to the day and keeps me fighting the good fight.

NETFLIX report:

If you haven't watched these 2 movies yet watch them as soon as you can.

River of Waste - A documentary on the factory farm

Forks over Knives - Great documentary with information on a huge study on diet with correlations to chronic diseases and cures.

More soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment