Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Another Adaptation

It's been cold around here lately and that means one thing - comfort food. Since I don't eat junk anymore I have to reinvent recipes. My latest is Red Beans and Rice - the southern classic. The junk I needed to cut out are bacon and sausage. So here is what I did instead.

Rice and Four Beans


1 Medium Red Onion
1 Bell Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Tbsp Chili Powder - mine is a little hotter than most. If your sauce is too mild add cayenne
1 Tsp Cumin
30 oz Diced Organic Tomatoes
1 can Organic Black beans
1 cup Truroots Sprouted Bean Trio cooked per instructions
1 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tbsp Basil
Worcestershire Sauce to taste - optional
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Louisiana Hot Sauce

Steamed Organic Brown Rice - I use the Short grain organic brown rice from Costco.

Saute Onions and pepper in Olive oil for 3 minutes on high and then add garlic for one minute. Add Tomatoes and spices and cook for 5 minutes. Add beans and herbs and season to taste. Use Louisiana hot sauce for final heat adjustment. It should be spicy. Serve over steamed brown rice and warm up!

More soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment