Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Her Regal Highness

Athena was able to add fans this morning while dragging me 6.7 miles in 1:24. She has fans all over and peeps as well. The difference is that a fan is someone who has looked upon her regalness (regality?) and smiled. They become peeps when she has licked them and clowned on them.

She is convinced that cars that are slowing to stop at a corner are actually slowing down to gaze upon her and smile. She doesn't know - nor will I ever tell her - that the smiles are for her but the slowing is a function of driving.

This new system I have for walking with her has actually helped my posture and my core strength. As we blaze along at close to - and sometimes over- 5 MPH I actually have to resist her from going faster. With my leash belt set just above my waist I am forced to walk nicely erect and use my core to resist her.

I realize of course that this approach is no way to train a dog to walk on lead. I also realize that Athena is never going to be a dog that you would walk like that anyway. She overreacts to every dog, cat and squirrel she encounters along the way. There is no dog park in her future. She doesn't want to play with other dogs as much as she wants to take them on.

Our exercise program may not work for many people and their dogs, but people who run with their dogs would enjoy the freedom of having both hands free. Others who want to get exercise but have a relatively incorrigible dog should try this out.

Dogs walking at their own pace are blissful and appreciative. They relax after their workout and cut you some slack as well. Walking at  a dogs pace takes some working into. You can't expect to jump right in and walk 5 MPH. I remember being so proud of myself when I was walking at 4 MPH regularly thinking I was fast and near the upper end of what's possible. I now think that 5.3 or 5.4 is possible without running.

I think I have some sort of sickness. Oh that's right, I'm obsessive.

More soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment