Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

How To Cross The Finish Line

I was asked for my ID at the auto licensing office today. The guy says something like "That's a big change."

I said "I know. I should get a new license, but this one if good until 2014."

He replied "So you did that pretty fast."

I said "It's pretty easy if you really decide to do it."

He then recounted his latest diet failure which ended in some frappamochakillyawithsugar coffee drink that he had this morning.

I got nothing for that. I think I gave him the quick and dirty version of my food needs to be fuel when you are dieting until you reach your goal weight - or some other such thing because, honestly, I had nothing for him.

If you want to finish the race you have to know you can. If you pay your entry fee for the Rock and Roll Marathon thinking "I may make it." you already have a built in out to the failure door. You might NOT make it. Losing weight or being regularly active or cutting out sugar or bad fats all have the same first step. TELL YOURSELF YOU WILL DO IT.

Nike says Just DO IT. Yoda says Do Not Try. Do or Do Not. I say decide you are worth it and decide that you will finish what you start. I know this sounds overly simplistic but it IS how you do it.

That being said, if you continue to get in your own way and fall down more than you stay standing get some psychological help. There is no shame in getting necessary help if that is what it takes.

Once you decide you will do it open a garbage bag and throw out all of the white stuff in the kitchen and pantry - rice, flour, and sugar. Toss all of the frozen pizza and pot pies and Lean Cuisine and TV dinners in the same bag. Toss all of the candy unless it is chocolate over 70% - I prefer over 85%. Ditch all of the canned soup as well.All of the vegetable and corn oil and any corn syrup is out. All of the Jello and cake mixes gotta go too. Take the bag to the Salvation Army shelter or some other shelter.

Hit the nearest store that has a good supply of organics and get some mixed greens , apples, oranges, pears, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, etc. Buy a big bowl to eat salad from and make a Big Salad. At the beginning you will want more rich flavors so make sure you have a couple types of olive, some artichoke hearts, etc. around so you will be happy with the flavors.

Add 1/3 cup vinegar or citrus juice, 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 Tbsp water, 2 Tbsp good mustard, and 2 tbsp of your favorite dry herbs and spices (basil, parsley, onion and garlic powder, salt pepper, thyme, oregano) and 1-2 tbsp Honey, Agave Nectar or Pure Maple Syrup. At first you will use more sweetener than you will later, but try 1 first and then add if you want more. If you have a jar with a lid it is easy to just shake this dressing up or you can use a whip or a fork as well.

Measure NO MORE THAN 2 Tbsp of the dressing on your big salad.

Try quinoa and brown rice. Check Goodwill for a rice steamer if you don't have one already. It does it's thing without you needing to do much. The steamer that I bought is the Cuisinart on Amazon for $47.

That's enough for now.

More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment