Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

A Worthy Endeavor

Saturday we snowshoed up to High Hut in the Mount Tahoma Trails System near Mount Rainier. I've been on 2 other trips up to the hut. One was an overnight and the other  - like Saturday - was up and down.

The first time was Easter weekend a couple months into my journey back to health. I was carrying 45 lbs or so and less than 3 months from my lung surgery. I suffered up the hill but made it eventually. Luckily, we didn't have to come back the same day.

Last year we were on the trail early - before the Snocat - and broke trail through 12-18 inches of snow the whole way up. We made it up and down that day. On both early occasions we were greeted by low clouds which robbed us of any views.

Saturday 10 of us hit the groomed trail and cruised up with no issues. There was a cloud layer but we had great views of the foothills. I still need to be there on a clear day so I can see Mt Rainier from there. It is supposed to be outstanding. Here is what we saw.
























Pam and I are lucky to have so many great friends who are avid outdoor folks. We had the pleasure of going with 2 new members of our group this trip when Aran's son Colin and Spencer's wife Shannel joined us. Here is our group picture from just outside High Hut cabin.


Thanks again everyone for another great adventure!

More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment