Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Trip Prep and The 10 Essentials

We're off for an overnight snowshoe to Copper Creek Cabin in the MTTA system tomorrow. The "hut" as they call it sleeps 14 and we have a full crew. The basic snowshoe is only about 3.5 miles each way if the upper Sno Park is still open for parking. It can go to 4.5 miles in real weather.

I find myself actually hoping for some weather so we can get a little more work in. I haven't weighed my pack yet, but I'm guessing with camera equipment and food it will be between 35 and 50 pounds. Some of my other weighty items are marinara and pasta for 14 and the camera stuff - including my wide angle lens so we can get a good group picture.

The weather report for the area we are going into between Elbe and Ashford is calling for cold weather with mostly cloudy skies both days. Tomorrows high is expected to be 30 and Saturday's 36. That will make for some crunchy - and LOUD - snowshoeing. In a large group it sounds like a swordfight war scene from a movie.

I could lighten my pack by ditching all of the stuff I carry in case things go bad. That would lighten my pack by maybe 10 pounds. We often see people on trails who either don't know about the items you should always have with you or they have decided that they won't need them. I have never needed any of them myself, but I refuse to be on an episode of I Survived or I Shouldn't Be Alive.

In the outdoor world there is a list called the "10 Essentials." They are as follows:

1. Map of the area - preferably a topographical map. GPS with maps and extra batteries is OK as well.
2. Compass - GPS with batteries is OK again, but a compass is cheap and light and a nice backup.
3. Fire starter - Fire ribbon/jell hand cleaner with alcohol/army fuel sticks.
4. Matches or lighter, Something to ignite the fire starter.
5. Knife, about 3", folding with cover - SHARP.
6. Flashlight, LED's are best, extra batteries.
7. Extra clothes IN A DRY BAG.
8. Extra food that is READY TO EAT - no cooking required.  Shoot for 3000 calories.
9. First aid kit. You will maybe have to use this on yourself so make it good stuff.
10. Sunglasses with side shields for snow travel.

As often as I can I print out 2 or 3 Topo maps for distribution. My GPS has detailed maps of the Western and Central US. I always carry extra batteries for it, but batteries only work if the GPS does. If it breaks you don't want to be without a backup plan.

All of this goes back to the question of being afraid. When you have what you need to survive you don't need to be afraid. You should be careful and prepared so you can have as much fun as possible while you are outdoors.

More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment