Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

A Pleasant Shopping Mistake

So I was picking up a couple things at Costco on Tuesday and it was cold outside. I picked up what I needed to get and was checking to make sure they really don't have the Kirkland Organic Peanut Butter anymore - they replaced it with "Natural" which means nothing. Sadly, that is the case.

As I was aisle cruising I saw the Pacific Organic Tomato soup. Like I said, it was cold out so I bought it. I know it has dairy in it, but I WAS COLD.

The error in it struck me at home when I was putting stuff away. I mean 6 quarts of Creamy Tomato Soup. I'd be looking at this stuff for a year! I guess I should add "Don't shop cold" with "Don't shop hungry."

I decided that we better have some for lunch so I only had to stare at 5 quarts forever. As you know by now I am incapable of heating the soup up and eating it as is so here is what I did. I chopped and steamed for 3 minutes about 1 1/2 cups of Brocolette from Costco and added it to the soup along with 1 cup of fresh Baby spinach and 1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil and a good amount of cracked black pepper. I let it cook together for 5 - 10 minutes. It was good.

Wednesday we were fully engulfed in Snowzilla so I decided to make quart 2. I added more Brocolette than before 2 cups and more spinach and basil as well. It was even better than the day before.

Thursday we were iced over, but I had to do something different. We are running low on options so I decided to do this. I went to 2 1/2 cups of the Brocolette, 2 cups of spinach, 1 cup of basil, 2 cups of organic corn and 1 can of Organic garbanzo beans and let that cook for 15 or 20 minutes. We served it over 1 cup of steamed brown rice and that was like a stew that made lunch and dinner.

Today if we are still stuck I plan to skip the Brocolette, spinach, and basil and instead add some of the Sprouted Bean Trio - also from Costco - and some chopped crimini mushrooms and parsley along with a decent amount of my homemade chili powder and come cumin and make a chili of sorts and serve it over the leftover steamed brown rice. That would only leave 2 quarts to go and much less embarrassment for Moi.

I refuse to quote Sheryl Crow, but she wrote a song about her relationship with Eric Clapton that has the line I won't quote.

More soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment