Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Something New To Get

After we got back from New Orleans I had to go grocery shopping since we were out of almost all of out fruit and vegetables. I hit Marlene's for the stuff I can't get at a better deal at Costco and then headed up the hill to Costco.

I was first VERY bummed that Costco no longer has ANY organic apples at the Tacoma store. Last week they had both Galas and Fujis. In the past they have also had Granny Smiths.

So there I am bummed out as I head into the cooler area for greens when I spot big bags of organic Baby Kale from Earthbound Farms. I bought one along with their Spring Mix and Baby Spinach.

When I got home I mixed the Kale with the Spring Mix and it makes really great salad greens. If you are new to kale you might want to ease in with a lighter mix. This stuff would also work for cooking or even the kale chips that are so popular.

Since they are "baby" kale - basically just younger clippings- they have no thick stems that need trimming so there's no waste. When you join the kale eaters you will find it a food that has some immediate good effects. It is hard to describe an overall feeling of well being, but that is what I get from kale.

The 1.5 Lb package says that it has 8 servings each of which have 380 mg of potassium, 2 grams of fiber and protein, 15% of your calcium needs per day, 110%of your Vitamin C, 20%$ of Vitamin A, and 6% of your iron.

The best part of all of the nutritional stuff is that it is all bio-available - meaning your body can readily absorb and use the nutrients. That is particularly important with calcium, protein and Vitamin C, but overall the plant based nutrients are the ideal form for absorption in the human digestive system.

We have eaten half of the bag in 2 days so the serving size of 2 cups works for us. You might want to watch how many servings it is for you and yours if exact numbers are important to you.

I get a little lost in all the dietetic mumbo jumbo out there. They are recommending meat and cautioning people to watch eating too many apples, and the latest one I find odd is that even a snack should have some balance of protein, etc.

I'm no dietitian, but it seems simple to me. If what you eat gives you good - EVEN - energy throughout your day and a great sense of well-being you should stick with it. If you are worried about your vitamin balance take a multi-vitamin as well. I wouldn't try this approach on your fast food loving, obviously overweight spouse, but when you have made your life changes and have a grip on your health it is the best plan I think.

More soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment