Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

That's Just The Tip Of The Iceberg Paully!

That is what I heard when Pam came home after reading the blog post from yesterday. She pointed out that I hadn't passed on the nutritional info of some other stuff you can make salad out of.

In particular she thought I should pass on the not so nutritional facts on the old fav Iceberg lettuce. We all grew up eating the stuff, and you still get served the stuff in a lot of restaurants.

So here is the breakdown of various salad greens.


Calories
Protein
Fiber
Vit A
Vit C
Calcium
Iron
Iceberg Lettuce
20
1 gram
1.8
14%
3%
2%
2%
Spring Mix
20
2
2
90%
50%
8%
20%
Spinach
14
2
2
112%
28%
6%
10%
Kale
35
2
2
20%
110%
15%
6%


 Now you know enough to be dangerous - just like me. It's not hard to see that the good old iceberg has nothing for you really while the other options are much better.

Another thing to remember with salads is that if you over dress your salad you coat the greens and they do not digest as well so you don't get the same nutritional benefits. I feel like I'm nagging, but MEASURE YOUR DRESSING and don't use more than 2 tbsp. I use much less than that on a salad that has 4 cups of greens. The less you use the more you can taste the greens as well. Your taste buds will adjust to less dressing quickly.

More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment