Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

We Don't Need No Stinking Mules- The Hike Up South Kaibab




Pam, Lance, Colin and I hit the trail out at 5:15 after a quick breakfast. The trail is in the open most of the way so timing is everything. I had filled an extra 3 liter water bladder for the large group ahead with Russ in case they needed extra water. I carried 4 liters for myself. We crossed paths at about 4 miles up and I passed the 3 liters to Bucky who was acting as a mad man porter shuttling supplies back and forth in their group - making sure everyone had what they needed.




















































The next time I saw Bucky was when he and Edward -14 years old - got to the bathroom area which is 1.5 miles to the top. They were heading up to drop their packs so Bucky could go to the last group and grab their packs. I headed up with them and made the top at 9:50 or so making the 8 miles in 4:35. I can't remember having that good of legs on an uphill hike so I made full use of them. Edward paced us the last .4 miles as he could see the trailhead and turned on the after burners.



I let out a large yee haw as I made the top. I know I'm suppose to act like it's no big thing, but it WAS a big thing! We found a picnic table to set up camp at and Bucky headed down. Lance and Colin were next up followed by Pam, Rhonda, Jene and Mary. The next one up was Russ - at 79 years old! He was apologizing for his pace which I thought was funny.




As we hung out at the top 3 condors put on a show just above us. They were birds J6, 16 and an untagged juvenile who we later learned was 1 year old. They tag the birds when they are 2 years old. The population of California Condors is growing after nearly being extinct.















One by one and sometimes 3 by 3 the rest of the group headed up the hill to applause from those of us already there. As we began to run out of space a bunch of us hit the shuttle bus to head back to the lodge for showers and food.

The rest of the story will be in the next post.

Be well and more soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment