Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Preparing For Guests

Today is Pam's turn to host her wine club for dinner. I try to use the opportunity to get off my ass and get some "pretty work" done. For months I have been staring at the weed infested parking strip. In my chemical past I would spray some round up and call it a day, but the new "greener" me is left with the hard way.

Yesterday I pulled out the grub hoe - that's what I grew up calling the tool anyway - and chopped up the parking strip then raked and sifted the weeds out. It looks way better but I am a little sore this morning. For those of you following closely, I remain at 207. I'm wondering what the final thing will be to kick me off of this 207 ledge. I refuse to do a marathon just to get past this plateau! Last year about this time I was lamenting a 222 plateau so I guess it could be worse.

For wine club dinner tonight I am preparing a salad with lettuce from our garden and raspberries from our garden with an Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette. There will be bell pepper, black string beans and cauliflower all from the garden with some multigrain pita chips and my Hummus Italiano for appetizers. The main plate will be grilled Scallops and shrimp Skewers served with a Cocozelle Squash "Pasta" with a White Wine Sauce. The side vegetable will be Kale and Collard Greens in an Italian sort of Wine and Herb presentation.

Dessert will be a reasonable healthy Tart Cherry Crisp. Pam will likely bring some Frozen Yogurt or Ice Cream to serve with that.

With all of that summery stuff on the menu we went with a Cabernet Franc for the wine. I can already hear the purists screaming for a white wine to pair with it, but even my summery menu items can stand up along side a nice red wine, and there will be white in the meal anyway.

Hopefully that is making all of your mouths water.

More soon......

No comments:

Post a Comment