Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pushing Through

Since St. Helens I have had a very stiff left hip when I walk with Athena. We did get in walks of 4.14 and 7.14 miles on Tuesday and Wednesday but there were no records set. I think we were both tired from the vacation. Pushing through....

Speaking of the vacation, picture this. Pam driving the RV - me in the passenger seat - Athena with both front legs across my lap looking outside. For about 1300 miles! Not exactly comfortable, but she felt safe there and that is the point. She believes I can fix whatever ails her, and that is a huge responsibility at times. I spent about a year trying to get her to believe in me - in us - and now that she does it seems I over sold the program to her. I will just try to live up to her expectations if I can.

The good news is that she didn't spend the entire 4th of July shaking like a leaf and inconsolable. She was fine as long as we were here which is very cool. Last year - even when drugged- she was in distress every time a firework went off. Progress...

Nutrition: Eating Out

When you are out at a restaurant trying to figure out what you can eat look for grilled stuff. Breaded means fried, and while pan fried in olive oil is better than deep fried, grilled is still preferable. We order our salads with one side of dressing and use about 1/3 of what they bring between us. Even if the sandwich you want doesn't come on wheat bread ask if they can swap it for you. No mayo or ketchup either. They are both loaded with sugar and the mayo has lots of fat too. Mustard is actually good for you, and if the restaurant makes their own ketchup and mayo they may be OK as well just get them on the side so you can control the amount you eat.

Recipe: Sort Of

I had a comment about cooking without eggs. I have used ground flax and water mixed to substitute for eggs in muffins before, but never in pancakes. There may be a way to make fluffy pancakes without eggs, but I know that separating the whites and whipping them makes big fluffy pancakes. If you need to avoid eggs go with whatever you need to do, but for the rest of you pancakes come out really great made with eggs and eggs have gotten a bad rap. We don't eat many, but we do buy organic cage free eggs when we do.

Athena is bugging me for something and I have to make some Broccoli salad - recipe in the next post - so that's it for now.

More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment