Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Big First Steps

I am asked often what got me going in the right direction. Over time I have answered that question in different ways as I reflect on it more. The simple reality of the story is that I went out for a walk.

I took a step.

It's that simple really. If you know you need to change then take a step in that direction. Don't think about how long the road is, just take one step at a time.

I still find it helpful on steeper hills NOT to look up very often. I prefer to keep looking down until I can see more - which happens when you level out more. Anyone can make this change of mind if they choose to do it.

I recently saw a quote from Adelle Davis who said, "As I see it, everyday you do one of two things, build health or produce disease in yourself." It is simple to look at things that way, and it makes choices simple.

Nobody is perfect so there will be times you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start over, but as long as there are fewer days like that than the others you stay on the right path. Failure is when you quit getting back up - quit trying.

If you buy ant of this then you see that EVERY STEP IS A BIG STEP and every move in the right direction is better than the other ones. It is not hard to start or keep going. It is not even hard to fail and start over. What IS hard is living a lesser life than you deserve to live.

Take more steps forward than you do backwards and eventually the hill WILL be behind you.

Be well and more soon...

1 comment:

  1. Yup. I have not done my regular exercise for the last few days-- I have walked some, but usually I figure skate-- and it has definitely thrown me off. Staying happy and healthy really is an every day thing. BTW my mom was really into Adelle Davis-- started us off right by raising us on whole grains, lots of produce, no soda or other junk.

    ReplyDelete