Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Camp Muir Part Two

I'm not big on cliches but I have to say that so far this year we have been living a charmed life. We went up To Mt Rainier on my birthday in April and had a beautiful and clear day. We didn't get all the way to the camp for a couple of reasons, but we did get a great hike and went up to 8000 feet before turning around.

Yesterday, we had an even more spectacular day and were able to finish what we had not in April. We arrived at 10,080 feet at Camp Muir on a clear day that - at times- was actually a little too warm. I know that seems odd, but it is true. The bulk of us were wearing lined pants commonly referred to as "guide pants." The fact that they were black added to the heat.












Any time you attempt Muir you can expect wind and we only had a little early on as the high and low pressure systems were in the last throes of their battle that was eventually won by the high pressure. It was a balmy 38 at Camp Muir with a slight breeze that caused us to re-layer.

We were able to glissade maybe 1/4th of the total distance down, but that is enough to giggle like school children and have some real fun.










All in all it was a fantastic day. I did a decent job of sunburning my face - enough so that I have some blistering on my nose - but I would do it all again the same way if necessary to have a day like that.

Today we took it east with a 30 mile bicycle ride mostly on the Burke Gilman Trail from Woodinville to Seattle and back and then some wine tasting at Cougar Crest and Airfield Estates.

As usual, a perfect weekend requires a great group of friends and Pam and I thank Lisa, Gary and Rowenna for hiking with us and Xavi for joining us for the bike ride and wine tasting.

It was widely reported that a good time was had by all.

More soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment