Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Way Too Easy

I finally got around to finding and trying out a tortilla recipe today. In the world of genetically modifies grains and man made scary fats I thought it was time to buck up and see how hard it was to find a recipe that worked.

The one I picked was super easy and I hardly changed it at all. I know they say you should make it is written first, but I can't control myself. I switched the flour for Organic Whole Wheat flour and added a table spoon of flax seeds. Here's what you do.

Tortillas

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 warm water
1 pinch of salt
2 tbsp Olive oil

Optional 1 tbsp flax seeds

Add the flour salt and oil to a food processor with a dough blade and turn on. Add the water little by little until the dough gathers up and forms a ball. Allow it to spin and knead itself for 2 or 3 minutes. Toss the dough in a bowl and cover with a towel. Let it rest 30 minutes. It needs that time or the dough will end up tough.

Split into 6 pieces and roll until thin. Cook in a dry cast iron pan for a couple of minutes per side and enjoy!

I served mine with black beans smashed and seasoned like taco meat along with spicy kale wilted in a pan - like spinach. The spices in the beans were chili powder, paprika, cumin ans oregano and the beans were cooked with some onion and garlic. The kale I used some chili powder, garlic and onion powder and a little cumin.

I usually just make something up as I go along so there is lots of tasting to see where things are at. I recommend playing with your food and using your friends and family as guinea pigs.

More soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment