Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

This Dog Blog Needs More Dog

That's right I hijacked Athena's blog for my own purposes. I've nearly cut her out completely. So this post is all about the pooch.

She is somewhere between 4 1/2 and 6 years old now - they don't require ID at the Humane Society. They also don't do any carbon dating. They look at their teeth and guess.

She maintains her physique at roughly 70 lbs by only eating what she needs. I just keep her bowl maintained and she handles the portions. If she gets a lot of exercise she eats more - simple.

Normally, she sleeps through most of the morning and early afternoon. Today is an exception because she has not missed me loading the RV for our Mt St Helens weekend. She is up and reminding us that she is a good girl worthy os going along on the trip. In a little bit I'll take some of her stuff out there and really get her going.

We chose the name Athena for her because she needed to have a strong female name and what is stronger than the Greek Goddess of War, Industry, Wisdom and more? Since her naming she has earned several nicknames.

She likes to drink out of a bird bath we have on the deck so I call her Bird and Little Bird. She is a precocious kid which has earned her the names Boogga and Boogga Boogga. She acts younger than her age - we like to think that is because we allowed her to be a puppy again - so I call her Kid. I think it's important to let her remember that I am bigger than her so she occasionally goes by Itsy Bitsy. Finally, she has a sneaky streak that shows itself through licking out of the side of her mouth and other stuff that I find creepy so she earned the name Creep or Little Creep.

If Athena had her way she would live off carrots, brocolette, apple and popcorn. She would supplement that diet with whatever table scraps she could get, but her faves are above. I do the air popped popcorn and toss it with a tiny bit of organic butter mixed with organic canola oil and some natural sea salt. She eats more than 1/2 of the batch and will pretend she is out when she gets under 20 pieces to go.

She gets some large dog treats as well and likes to use them as a good game of keep away. She likes to growl hideously as she protects the treats. She likewise growl when playing with her pull toys. I like to pull with one hand and scratch her head with the other which makes her growl even more since that is NOT how the game is supposed to be played.

She is a super empath which manifests itself when she goes for drives with me. I don't even have to say anything about the dumbass ahead of me and she's already feeling it and chirping at me. It makes me take myself to a better place where stupid and expected things like stupid drivers are not an issue worth spending energy on. Pam has been trying to get me to that place for almost 26 years and Athena does it in 2 1/2.

She is currently staring at me wondering what is so important that I am not paying attention to her. If she only knew.

We leave this afternoon for our little camping/climbing trip. She won't get much sleep down there so she'll be good and tired when we get back.

That's the Athena update. As you can see she has found her way deep into my heart and runs me like a fine pocket watch.

Be well and more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment