Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Smoothie Recipe Alert

I have been working this recipe out for a while. I steal most of my stuff from others. In law school we were taught that they made your eyes to plagiarize and I take that to heart. This one started out on Dr. Oz where they used just the almond milk, chia seeds and Stevia for a tapioca like shake. I tried it and it was not worthy of my readers so I tinkered.

I tried adding banana instead of the stevia for better flavor, but I didn't like that either. Pam comes home one day and tells me that Melinda Miller recommended an Organic frozen fruit blend that she found at Costco. I tracked it down. It is called Organic Antioxidant blend and is from Townsend Farms.

After a couple of stabs at this I have a final recipe - which you can continue to adapt to fit your palette.

Ch Ch Ch Chia Seed Smoothie

1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk - I used Pacific brand Original Unsweetened
1 Tbsp Chia seeds
1 tsp Agave Nectar or Honey
1 cup Frozen Organic Fruit

Soak the chia seeds in the Almond milk for about 20 minutes. So put them in the milk and go take your shower. Add them to a blender with the Agave nectar and fruit and blend for a couple of minutes. The Antioxidant blend has pomegranate seeds so the longer it blends the less crunchies there will be.

Here is the great news.

This has:

195 Calories
6 Gr Fiber
5 Gr Protein
2282 Mg Omega 3's
30% RDA of Riboflavin
25% RDA of Vitamin D
10% RDA of Vitamin A
6% RDA of Iron
6% RDA of Calcium
It also has 7 grams of fat of which 0 is saturated. This is the source of the Omega 3's.

The Chia seeds puff up and make you feel full and the fiber carries that out longer so you get a very satisfying breakfast with less than 200 calories that is a significant source of Omega 3's and other vitamins that keeps you full for a while.

Give it a whirl - blender reference - and I think you'll like it as well.

UPDATE: I was just at Tacoma Costco looking to replenish my supply of the frozen berry mix and they do not have them now. Please comment if your Costco still does.

More soon....

3 comments:

  1. Tacoma Costco has the berry blend back in stock. Thanks for the chia seeds tip! I'm adding them to my "eat your greens" smoothy every day. It took a bit before it dawned on me that I now eat baby chia pets. -Malinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Issaquah Costco has the Townsend Farms blend. I haven't tried chia at all yet, definitely something I should do. But I do like the Townsend Farms blend in smoothies. I don't like to add sugar so I add some strawberry and watermelon for extra sweetness

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the recalled brand-consumers need to check dates, as there is a Hepatitis A outbreak linked to this Townsend product

    ReplyDelete