Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Kinda Scary Lookin" Veggie Eating Dog

Athena, the tough looking dog, is a little baby vegetable eater. We had a dinner consisting of a Portobello Mushroom Burger, Grilled Corn On The Cob, and an Orzo Pasta Salad with Pesto sauce, Cherry Tomatoes, Grilled Zucchini and a little bit of fresh Mozzarella.

When I finished my corn Athena was positioned as always in her forever hopeful bumming spot between us. I decided to test her pallet so I handed her the cob. She took it out on the lawn and proceeded to eat the whole thing. She came back just in time to get Pam's spent cob and finished that.

After dinner I put together our juice for tomorrow which has a bunch of carrots in it and she ate the ends of all of the carrots as well.

They are going to kick her out of the tough dog club when they read this. Oh, that;s right, they can't read so I guess she's OK.

Along the way today her famous lei bit the big one in the back yard. Neither of us saw her destroy it, but there it was in a pile of fake blue flowers. She must have just got tired of it because as late as last night I took it off of her and she bugged me until I put it back on.

I try not to do anything to limit my dogs' enthusiasm. When they get old and their fun level goes down I always miss it so I'm big on the memories I'm getting now.

Recipe:  Portobello Mushroom Burgers

2 Portobello mushrooms stemmed
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
Salt
Pepper
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder

Marinate the mushrooms for a couple hours in the ingredients above and then grill them for 3-5 minutes per side on the BBQ. Serve on a Whole Grain Bun or Bread with some Grain Mustard and Cheddar cheese if you want.

A note on grilled corn. There are lots of ideas on how to grill corn on the cob. I don't soak mine and after the husk is tanned on all sides I pull back the husk and get a little color on the corn itself. We brush it lightly with Olive Oil and a little sea salt and it is great. The grill time is a total of 15 - 20 minutes and I ONLY use ORGANIC Corn. If it isn't organic it IS GMO which means it has a pesticide in it that remains stable even after cooking.

More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment