Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Payoff Hikes And Reunions

When I first agreed to hike with Pam and her friends it was because she kept telling me about the great views you can only get by putting in the work. Since I am an avid amateur photog, I took the pill and started hiking with them.

The thing is that many things have to come together for the great pics to happen. The weather has to cooperate and you have to get to your destination. There were many places we hiked where there was no payoff - no great shot to take even if the other forces aligned in your favor. Cougar mountain and Tiger mountain fall in that category.

I have now crossed over to the dark side and prefer a harder hike - one with around 1000 feet of elevation gain per mile. I like the workout, but that doesn't mean I am not still looking for a payoff picture at the end or along the way. For instance, I will always opt for Mt. Rose over Wagon Wheel Lake because Mt Rose has some really great views where Wagon Wheel has a small lake without much sex appeal.

Short story long, Pam, Phyllis and I headed up to hike Ranger Falls and Green Lake which is roughly 11 miles with 1600 feet of elevation gain. We chose it so we would make the family reunion shortly after noon. When I say 11 miles I mean that it is a 6 mile walk with a 5 mile hike in the middle as you walk the road for 3 miles to the trailhead from the Carbon River entrance to Mount Rainier National Park. The road to the trailhead washed out in 2006 and they have opted not to repair it and instead make it a trail.

This was the first hike this year where we did not run into snow on the trail, but the falls were running nicely.





See! That's a payoff picture!


The trail first goes to the falls and then goes up to Green Lake.




More Payoff! That's what I'm talkin' about!    We were on the trail at 7:21 and back at the car at 11:11 after taking a 20 minute break at the Lake and 5 at the falls.

Off to the family reunion at Lake Tapps. We won't describe the route. Just know that neither Pam or I know the back way from Bonney Lake to Lake Tapps. Ms. Pam had me bring the camera and herded everyone for a picture at a little after 3.





So there we are in all of our glory. The bulk of the Anderson/Kaperick Clan. The efforts of 2 sisters - My Mom and My Aunt Bev. They were both productive. My Mom had 13 kids and Bev had 7. As usual a good time was had by all, and most everyone made the affair.

Athena settled for a 3.65 mile neighborhood walk today although she did try to turn for longer routes several times along the way.


More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment