Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Eagle Peak Glory

Pam, Rhonda, Gary and I headed out yesterday morning for a hike up to Eagle Peak Saddle in Mount Rainier National Park. Every year we talk about just hiking new trails but always seem to keep our true favorites on our to hike list. Eagle Peak is such a hike.

I swore I would never hike Eagle Peak again after I hiked it the first time. I will admit that we were late to the trailhead - 11 or 12 on a hot summer day, I weighed 260 or so, and on the way there I ate a roast beef sandwich on sourdough bread. All three things I now know are not good things.

Eagle Peak is one of my favorite hikes. It is just under 8 miles roundtrip from where we park. It has 2900 feet of elevation gain, and on a clear day - as yesterday was - you get to see Mt Adams, Mt St Helens, Mt Hood and of course Mt Rainier.

We made our way up in under 2 hours and were treated to great views that we spent an hour enjoying before descending back to the car. A Veg on Red pizza at Whitacker's with a pitcher of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale followed, and it was widely reported that a great time was had by all.

Enjoy the picture, be well and more soon....


Mt Adams

Mt Hood

Mt St Helens - my mistress.


If you look closely you can see Camp Muir in here.

Switchbacks and wildflowers.

Wildflowers in bloom.

In person, there daisies have a lilac tint.





A butterfly using Pam's pole grip as a salt lick.

The gang on the Eagle Peak Saddle with Mt Rainier peeking around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment