Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Finding A Reason To Finish

We humans seem really good at starting things, but we don't do as well when it comes to finishing. Any of us who have set out to lose weight or quit smoking or whatever have found ways to get in our own way. The trick is to find more reasons to continue than you find to quit.

We all know that, Paully! I know that I am the master of the obvious right now, but simplicity really is the key to stuff like this. Just like when I preach to make one decision instead of making decisions over and over, this is The same kind of concept.

Decide to finish and just do it. Trick yourself into stuff if you have to, but keep moving forward. You don't have to always keep on a perfectly straight line to get to the end, but you DO need to keep moving. Giving up is always easier, but if you prioritize yourself it can't be an option.

Every time I head out to walk or hike or whatever I have tons of opportunities to accept failure. My left knee lately has decided to be an issue, but if I am going to get where I need to be I can't lat that excuse stop me or even slow me down.

I'm getting a little preachy - even for me - but this is important. Forward momentum and picking yourself to win are key to getting where you need to be. You are no good for anyone else unless you are good to you first. Choose to be a formidable force in your own world. Only then can you be that kind of force in the rest of it.

Athena and I busted out 6.7 miles in 1:18:15 today for a whopping 5.14 MPH. I have been keeping Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #3 first movement in my head to keep the pace up. I have it running a little fast, but it works. Like I said, sometimes you need to cheat the system to get the results you want.

Be well and more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment