Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Why Not Just Run, Paully?

I can hear people thinking that when I talk about walking 5 MPH with Athena. It's not like I'm hearing voices telling me to do something hideous so don't be distressed. This is why.

I was born with 2 characteristics that don't mesh well with running. I am pigeon-toed - worse on the right than the left although they are both "pronated." To add to that I also have very high arches which when added to the other spells twisted ankle and shin splints.

I wore twisters and special shoes until I was about 5 or 6 which twist the little bones in your lower legs but don't much help keep your feet centered under your knees like most people. I can only hope they have better options for pigeon-toed babies these days.

That almost made me have to give up snowshoeing as the only way I could keep my snowshoes from slapping against each other and sounding like a sword fight was to turn my hips out which was murder on my hips. I found MSR snowshoes had a model with adjustable bindings that allowed me to keep the shoes pointed straight with my feet on in their normal crooked state.

I still have trouble when snowshoeing following others' tracks because most tracks go out to the outside and mine a pretty much straight. Oh, well it just means more exercise for Paully.

People with high arches are prone to twisted ankles, but they do have better athletic feet according to my foot doc - whatever that means. For me it means that walking fast is what I do. I can continue with my tenet that I only run when being chased by the police.

Be well and more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment